Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Study Break: Pimping Wine in the Pouring Rain

Is it just me? Or does Los Angeles as a whole shut down when raindrops and hail fall?

I made an appointment with Andrew's Cheese Shop in Santa Monica today. Congratulations to them. After more than a year of being in business, they finally got their beer and wine license. And I certainly wanted first dibs at getting my wines in there to pair with their wonderful (and expensive) selection of cheeses.

After a meeting that made me feel warm and fuzzy, my OCD kicked in and I decided to drive around the entire beach area in the rain. Next stop, Briggs Wine & Spirits in Santa Monica. Closed. Then, one of my favorite Italian restaurants up the road, Drago. Dude in charge of tasting... out of the country until Friday. Travelled west to the Viceroy Hotel, one of the hotspots I take out-of-town friends to. I've been trying to get my wines into that place for what seems like forever. Guy also not there. Went up the road to Shutters Hotel on the beach. Sommelier not there. Heading south toward Venice I dropped by Primitivo Wine Bistro where they have awesome $4 Sangrias at happy hour. They're apparently closed during the day in the winter months. On the way home I hit the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Rey. The woman in charge... in a meeting for the remainder of the afternoon.

And that my friends was it. I got my name out there. Picked up a few business cards during my venture for a plethora of appointments I intend to set up when this LSAT is over. Then, I went home to take a bath and study. Moral of the story: Don't bother even attempting to sell wine when it's raining. Nobody goes to work. Or as always, it could be my luck and crappy timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment