Friday, May 29, 2009

Getting Personal: Why Little Wine Broker?

So I've promoted my clients, and as I continue to get more "value wines" I'll keep you up to date to safisfy your cravings. I'm writing this blog on a more serious note... to let you get to know me, my background, and how I got into the crazy wholesale wine industry.

I started selling wine five years ago. It was a pure experiment that began when I was writing for a television news station in San Francisco. My producer, Mike, also made (and still makes) wine (Homefire Cellars http://www.zintopia.com/). But his Zin and Petite Sirah had never reached the L.A. market. Since my work in the Bay Area was only temporary I told Mike to send me a couple bottles of his wine... and that I'd shop it around. It was so good and so well priced that the first time I took it out I made an immediate five-case sale.

Well, things got a little crazed in the television news world and I put wine on the backburner. But broadcasting (much like all businesses) is also suffering. Given the extra free time I decided to pursue the wine thing all over again... building my business from scratch. Unfortunately Mike has a new broker in L.A. but he's helped me start over and get clients.

So I got the clients and started going on the sales calls. Of course when I cold call restaurants, retail establishments, etc. people would ask for my company name. That didn't take long to create, thanks to Susan Brink, owner of Venokado (an adorable wine and gift shop in West Hollywood). During a tasting appointment she suggested Little Wine Broker... because she, like many other people, thought my last name was pronounced "Little". It's not (li-tell is how it's pronounced). But I thought, why not take advantage of something that's been driving me nuts all my life? How people butcher my last name. I immediately took her suggestion and voila! Little Wine Broker.

I believe Susan was inspired by another broker in Los Angeles, Katherine Strange, who named her company... Strange Wines (she makes a wonderful Syrah by the way). Katherine, too, has been very helpful when it comes to quickly answering emails about licensing... and importing.

A couple side notes... Haven't heard back from the Midlife folks... but I'm not going to let my hair get gray over it. I just had a tasting with a new client last night... Elliston Vineyards. Only got to try their Merlot and Champagne (so excited to have a Champagne in my arsenal). I'll write more about them next time.

1 comment:

  1. Jack Moore
    Personal Wine Concierge
    Wine Spectrum Inc.
    (800) 933-8466
    (707) 525-8466
    jmoore@winespectrum.com
    www.winespectrum.com

    ReplyDelete