Monday, June 8, 2009

Just for Laughs: Rookie Mistakes

As you may recall, I'm getting back into the wine industry after a LONG hiatus. When I first started I was allowed to be ditzy... "I'm really in TV. I'm just doing this as a favor to a friend. Can you open my wine bottle?" When I finally decided to do this for real I realized, "Oh sh**. I'm actually going to have to learn how to open a wine bottle using a cork screw other than the one I use to impress my company." I'm talking about the cork screw that can actually fit in my hand... not the fancy one that my friends bought me for Christmas last year.

So while I make fun of the "manly man" who thought Rose' was girly, I have to give him props for his patience... and a much deserved shout out for teaching me how to use that cork screw *without* judgement. I brought him six or more bottles of wine to taste. He opened one for me... then basically watched me open the rest... giving me useful critiques each time.

Now that I've got that down, there's certain terminology I don't know that's also showed what a newbie I am. And it happens at the worst places... like Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills. I opened up a bottle of 1999 Elliston Merlot. I go on with my schpeel about how since this wine has been aged 10 years it's very balanced and smooth. The Bar Manager smells it and says, "It's corked." I say, "Huh?" He repeats, "It's corked. It's no good." And he puts the glass up to my nose and it smelled awful... almost like chlorine. He then explained that corked meant that air somehow got into the bottle and the wine spoiled. Embarassed, I asked if this was common. He said 10 percent of bottles are corked, it's happened to other brokers, yada yada. Thankfully I get to return Friday for him to taste the *real* Merlot.

I'm sure there are more rookie stories to tell. And as I get more I promise to share.

One thing to note, I'm an honest person. I always tell my clients I'm new... so if they want some hot shot broker who's developed relationships with every Sommelier, Food & Beverage Director, Bar Manager, etc. etc. I'm not that gal. Thankfully, like me, my clients are new to this as well. And by new I mean, their wine hasn't been sold in Los Angeles before. I believe that's what makes it work.

1 comment:

  1. Corked means that the wine is infected with TCA (in most cases) which is most commonly caused by a naturally occurring fungus in the cork itself responding to airborne chlorophenols. The resultant product (TCA) produces moldy, musty, or, yes, chlorine-y aromas in the wine. Estimates of wine infected with cork taint (giggle) run anywhere from 1%-7% of all wine. It's tricky to measure though because often the amount of TCA is minuscule and not easily recognized by an untrained nose. Not sure where that oft-cited 10% figure came from.

    It is not, inherently, a result of excess oxidation of the wine via contact with air (that would give the wine a port-like or vinegar-y nose) as the Bar Manager at Montage suggested.

    Just goes to show (as someone who hasn't been doing this all that long either) that sometimes the "experienced professionals" are wrong too, so don't get pushed around or intimidated.

    Nice blog.=^)

    ReplyDelete