Monday, September 28, 2009

Aged Wines: Soliciting Your Opinions...

Some say good wine comes with age, especially when it comes to reds. But lately I've been hearing the newer the better. And I'm having a heck of a time selling Elliston Wines because of that theory. One example is a wine bar I went to a few weeks ago. The guy LOVED Banknote (and who wouldn't? It's a brilliant wine). But he kept hemming and hawing over Elliston, saying his clientelle doesn't care for older vintages... they care more about what's gonna get them drunk. Well, let me say this, if you're looking for a wine to get you drunk, Elliston's Merlot at 14% alcohol is probably your best option... even if it is only a 1999.



So I'm not blogging to complain or make fun of people's preferences. I'm writing this time for a sort of, have YOUR say. When it comes to wine, do you care about the year on the label? And if so, why?

2 comments:

  1. Most all red wines are better with a certain amount of age. But if you're talking about ten years or more, the wine has to have the fruit and the backbone to back it up, or else its just gonna taste like old flabby juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I didn't answer your question. If its an old wine I've never heard of, then yes. I would be concerned why it hasn't sold yet. Maybe it isn't very good. If it is a wine I know is quality juice and its older, that would be a plus for me. If its a white wine, age can help it too, but its more of a gamble, so I would stay safe and probably stick with the newer wines.

    ReplyDelete